Sunday, January 17, 2010

Final days of mission trip

Hi Family and Friends,

Sorry for the delay in contact! electrical outlets are difficult to come by at least ones that will hold a converter and computer charger up without falling out. At times I just had to laugh..

Our final days of the dental trip were exhausting, due to travel delays from the heavy fog. Normal for India this time of year. Therefore, What was suppose to be an early am flight turned out that we spent all morning in the Lucknow airport. We did not arrive back to Delhi to set up clinic until 2:30 p.m By then we were all pretty worn out. The non stop travel, set ups at each site and the actual work seemed overwhelming by the end of the week.

All of the Doctors did an amazing job in Lucknow with medical screenings, dental screenings, fillings and extractions treating those in most need due to pain. Of course there are so many people to treat, each person must be thoroughly screened to prioritize the procedures. Our team worked so great together, always helping each other in every way possible. What an honor it was for me to have been on a team of such expertise, integrity and genuine kindness. All of the locations we traveled to were just open areas of cement with an outlet to the wall, we travelled with some pretty incredible dental equipment and set up each site as we saw fit.

Once I figure out how to post photos, I will so.

I would like to thank Kevin for setting up this blog for me. Without his commitment to my journey and contact with my family and friends I could not have done it! Thank you Kevin!!.

The medical team spent the final morning in a meeting debriefing the past week with Isaac Shaw the pastor and his wife Gloria of DBI. Gloria played a big role in organizing the whole trip and traveled with us each day. She is a beautiful person. In the meeting we discussed the pros and cons of the week and how we can make next year run even better.

After the meeting we were taken around old Delhi and we stopped for tea and dessert at a beautiful hotel called, The Imperial. If ever in Delhi, I would recommend staying,

A quick bit together and off to the airport. We dropped everyone off and in a way I wanted to go back to Florida. The week was so fulfilling because we helped so many people and touched the lives of many, but I was very drained and I felt very emotional.

I stayed at the airport for my friend Steve to arrive. His flight was about two hours late and they would not let the public in the airport and had 2 separate doors that one could choice from once leaving customs. Just a bit unnerving when you are the only blond 10 at night! I did find find a couple of Americans that were waiting for friends to arrive also.

Anyway, once Steve arrived, we took transportation to DBI, they set up a separate room for him. We were invited to stay that night DBI since we were taking a 6:15am train to Agra. On Saturday, we took a 3 hour train to go see the Taj Mahal and the Agra gate. Too beautiful for words to describe. We took the sleeper train back to Delhi. I arranged for a hotel close to the domestic airport. early the next morning we took a 3 hour flight to Guwahati, a 30 min bus to Uluibari and then a 3 hour ride in a SUV with 10 people winding rodes to Shillong where we are now.

To be continued gotta run now

I am doing fine, but I miss all of my family and friends. I hope you all are well.

Love,

Michelle

1 comment:

  1. Such a great update, Michelle! I know we all are excited for your experience. Those photos will be great. We'll set up a photo-sharing website, for all your friends to enjoy. I am glad to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete